Gender Equality for both Women and Men
Equal sharing of responsibilities and a harmonious partnership between women and men are critical to their well-being, to that of their families and to the consolidation of democracy. The achievement of gender equality requires a context in which men and women work together, and work and family responsibilities are shared.
In the context of the world of work, equality between women and men includes the following elements:
- Equality of opportunity and treatment in employment
- Equal remuneration for work of equal value
- Equal access to safe and healthy working environments and to social security
- Equality in association and collective bargaining
- Equality in obtaining meaningful career development
- A balance between work and home life that is fair to both women and men
- Equal participation in decision-making at all levels
Given that women are usually in a disadvantaged position in the workplace compared to men, promotion of gender equality implies explicit attention to women’s needs and perspectives. At the same time, there are also significant negative effects of unequal power relations and expectations on men and boys due to stereotyping about what it means to be a male. Instead, both women and men, and boys and girls, should be free to develop their abilities and make choices – without limitations set by rigid gender roles and prejudices – based on personal interests and capacities.